The Vision For My Future Content & Staying In My Own Lane.

Blogging hasn’t felt this good in a long time, I have little butterflies of excitement writing this post that I just can’t shift. If you’re a regular reader then hopefully you’ll have noticed some differences already, I’ve finally made the *not so scary* transition to WordPress and completely changed my blog, logo – everything. There’s been a couple of late nights over the past week or so, but in all honestly, I don’t think my my blog has ever felt more me, and I’m so much clearer on exactly what I want to do with this space now.

I thought instead of jumping into a generic post I would mark this milestone with some of my current thoughts, and what you can expect from my blog in the future. I mean, I’m not really shifting the kind of content, but hopefully giving it an upgrade and sharing more of what I love.

The future for my blog.

About a week ago I sat down, wrote the word vision in the middle of an A4 piece of paper and jotted down everything I imagined my ideal blog/ content to be. Every single thing was linked to sharing my experiences, whether it’s finding the perfect straight leg jeans that actually get past my thighs, or a couple of life changes that are making me feel good. Instead of trying to squeeze into a box of being a certain type of blogger I’m just going to continue writing what I want to share and feel confident that it’s what works for me.

I’ve always been more of a thinker rather than a do’er, I get these ideas that really excite me, but then I mull over them for a few months and drag out the process. I’ve decided from now on, I’m going to act on as much as possible. Since deciding this in a matter of weeks I’ve found a photographer to help me take photos whilst Jay (husband) works away, updated my blog design, and put a plan of action together for my YouTube channel. I’m telling you this because collectively I’ve been trying to do all of those things for the past 18 months!

It was a mixture of things that held me back from “getting shit done”, the main one being that I just didn’t have a vision for my blog, I didn’t know where I wanted to take it in the future and I felt pretty uninspired with the half hearted design. It just didn’t feel enjoyable anymore. I actually think starting YouTube and receiving positive feedback through that has been such a big boost to get it all sorted.Staying in my own lane.

It’s not something I’ve spoken about much before, but there have been a couple of times over the past few years that I’ve fell into the big black hole of comparison. I know it happens to most people, no matter how or why you use social media. The thing is, when you’re already feeling a little low it’s easy to forget that instagram for the most part really is just the highlights, and all of a sudden your world feels a little inadequate. It was only when speaking to a friend a month or so ago that I even realised I was doing it, and that it’s actually quite normal! I’m just consciously trying to focus my efforts into what I’m creating. If something isn’t making me feel good, I’m either unfollowing or muting. I don’t need to compare my content to anyone else’s for validation, I need to compare my content to what I’m already producing – that’s it! I really do think this is exactly what has made me fall back in love with blogging again.

So there you have it, a brand new blog design that definitely feels a lot more me (I can’t take credit, it was all thanks to the wonderful Pipdig and their migration service!) and a reel of ideas that I’m not pressing pause on.

How have you dealt with comparison on Instagram?

Shop the post

22 responses to “The Vision For My Future Content & Staying In My Own Lane.”

1. Zoey says:

Great post! I feel the same – I’ve got loads of ideas but just need to action them.

I need to stop comparing myself to other bloggers too – every one is different and has a different writing style. And, I’m perhaps a little too honest in my posts which gets me into trouble sometimes.

Zoey | https://www.zoeyolivia.com

2. Shevy says:

I’ve had my fair share of IG comparison and as you said it can really make you feel depressing when constantly trying to see what the next blogger is doing. You feel that what you are doing is “inadequate”. But I have to constantly remind myself that we are all in our own lanes and the blogging world would be a boring place if we all posted the same content and looked the same way. I mean it’s already saturated so I feel good about what I post and never worry about others 🙂

3. I loved reading this blog post and I relate to so much of what you mentioned!

Danielle xx

4. Lucy says:

Love the look of your blog Jodie, and loved this post! I’ve definitely gone with the mindset of doing my own thing in terms of blogging, it’ll definitely make me feel much happier about my content!

Lucy | Forever September

5. Chloe says:

I’ve been thinking about switching from blogger to wordpress recently but I’m scared I’ll do something wrong and loose my whole blog, haha! You should do a post about your process and how you found it!
    Chloe X http://chloelxuise.com

• Jodie says:

Oh I had the exact same fears, that’s why I went with Pipdig and just paid for them to do it. To be honest it was so straight forward that I don’t think it’s needed (I too thought it would be much harder). They move everything across for you!

6. Jessie says:

I really love your idea of doing a vision board. I am hoping to switch up my blog content this year and focus on my lifestyle and travel – so I think I’ll give that vision board idea a go whilst I start working on new content 🙂 xx

Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

7. Lisa Autumn says:

Girl you can do this! So motivating!

x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

8. Jess says:

I’m a fellow comparison trapper! I don’t know when it happened, but this year I’m determined to get it under control!

xoxo
    Jess
    The Crown Wings | UK Travel & Lifestyle Blog

9. Isobel says:

Loving all the motivational vibes coming from you in this post Jodie! I’ve recently bought my blog domain and really need to get it sorted! Love the new design!

sobel x

New post: http://fashionistachic14.blogspot.com/2019/01/fashion-how-to-style-tartan-with-french.html?m=1
    Insta: https://www.instagram.com/isobelceline/
    New video: https://youtu.be/MEUHhWjJ7Q8

• jodiemelissaxo says:

Thanks so much Isobel, I’m glad you were able to take that away from it! 🙂 that’s amazing, it’s definitely worth taking all of those steps!

10. Teresa says:

I can totally relate to your excitement about the coming year in regards to your blog. Somehow it just feels like this year is IT. Liking the new site and so excited to see what kind of content you’ll come up with this year 🙂 Happy New Year! x

Teresa | outlandishblog.com

11. I’m absolutely loving your new blog design Jodie – it’s so beautiful! You look amazing in all of the photos in this post and your outfit is gorgeous. I’m SO excited to see new blog content from you and you already know that your YouTube channel is one of my all time faves! Can’t wait to see what’s to come from you 🙂 xo

Char | http://www.charslittleblog.co.uk