5 Changes I’m Making To My Instagram.

Instagram has been a hot topic for a while now, I feel like everyone has a different experience and different things seem to work for different people. Over the past few weeks I’ve made a couple of changes and I’m planning on making a few more too, so I thought I would share those in a post!

Become even more authentic
I want to start opening up a little more about my life in my captions like I do on my blog. I did this recently and spoke about the struggles I’ve had with my skin over the past few months, and I couldn’t believe the response. So many people messaged me and spoke to me about it and the fact I was able to help others just by sharing a more personal experience honestly made me so happy. There’s quite a lot about me that I’ve never spoken about on my blog, growing up I went through quite a few difficult things that I’ve managed to overcome. I think sharing this could really help and hopefully inspire people too.

Behind the scenes
I really love the more candid and random shots from people that show their day to day lives on Instagram stories – so I’m going to try and do more of the same. I want to share behind the scenes of everything I do and like the point I just mentioned, be more authentic and transparent. I got thinking about this the other day, I shared my healthy tea on my Insta stories, what you don’t see from that are the rest of the things I ate that day (4 chunks of chocolate, 4 cups of coffee and salt and vinegar snack a jaks if you’re wondering). I don’t want to be someone that only shares the “insta worthy” moments of my life anymore.

Clear out
I’ve been meaning to do this for ages, but I want to get rid of the brands I’m not really that interested in and inactive accounts/ people I don’t engage with anymore. I’m sick of not seeing the photos from my favourite Instagrammers, so I think it’s time to strip it back.

Leaving an Instagram pod
After reading this post by Maria it got me thinking about Instagram pods, a lot. Being in a pod meant I was always guaranteed comments on my photos, and to be completely honest I was kind of scared that no one would bother engaging with me anymore if I left. I got it in my head that I needed it for my Instagram to grow and reach more people. However, I was wrong, and I’m so glad I’m no longer in a pod. It’s taken off a lot of pressure for me, I used to always be worried about falling behind and I’ve actually found that I just naturally make the effort to engage with content that I want to engage with now. I was lucky enough to be in a pod with a bunch of lovely ladies that I already follow, and I find myself commenting on their posts anyway!

Spend less time scrolling
I think with Jay coming home this will happen naturally, but since he’s been away I’ve spend so much more time on Instagram. I hate how much I’m looking at a screen throughout the day and how quick time passes while I do so. I need to download the app that shows you how long you spend on your phone and certain apps to shock me. Plus, I still have a lot of wedding planning to do so there ain’t time to be scrolling on Instagram!!

Never miss a post and follow my blog on Bloglovin’
Youtube / Twitter / Instagram / Facebook
This post may contain affiliate links… Products marked * are PR samples.

1. Lucy Cole
    February 23, 2018 / 10:23 pm

Love this post! I've found myself enjoying instagram a lot more recently, despite the pesky algorithm, and really want to focus on sharing more on my stories. I think I might need leave my pods too soon, I'd like to think I'd have more time commenting on feeds more naturally xxLucy | http://www.lucy-cole.co.uk

February 27, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Thank you Lucy! Glad you loved it… It's not all bad is it, I don't think you'll regret it xx

2. Arianna
    February 23, 2018 / 11:20 pm

Yes, I need to stop scrolling too!! It’s just a time filler!!😊💕Www.southernbf.blogspot.com

February 27, 2018 / 9:07 pm

Definitely! x

3. Candice Petersen
    February 24, 2018 / 5:25 am

Love this post! Definitely scrolling just takes over your life.Candice | beautycandyloves.co.za

February 27, 2018 / 9:11 pm

Thank you Candice! x

4. Leanne Saunders
    February 24, 2018 / 9:21 am

I keep thinking about leaving pods too – like you say too much pressure in catching upAnd what is that app that tells you how long cause I could really do with that http://www.ohsimplething.co.uk

February 27, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Yeah there really is, I hate the thought of letting people down with it aswel! x

5. Beautylymin
    February 24, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I think a lot of people are getting tired of pods and engagement is becoming more authentic xxBeautylymin| CharlotteTilburyBlush&BronzeGiveaway

February 27, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Definitely! I'm hearing more and more people saying this x

6. Caroline Malone
    February 24, 2018 / 2:41 pm

I exited out of my instagram pod because I too found it just too much pressure! I constantly worried that I wasn't giving long enough or genuine comments, or if I went on holiday for a week that I'd not be able to catch up with them, I just find it so much more authentic to everyday take some of my own time and going through my favourite instagrams and commenting on them! xxwww.iridescentplaces.com

February 27, 2018 / 9:14 pm

Exactly! So much more authentic to use Instagram without pods x

7. PintSizedBeauty
    February 24, 2018 / 7:21 pm

I loved this post Jodie. I'm looking to get a little bit more relaxed with my Instagram xxLily http://www.pintsizedbeauty.com

February 27, 2018 / 9:14 pm

Thank you Lily! x

8. The Makeup Aficionado
    February 25, 2018 / 1:52 am

I definitely love seeing behind the scene shots on Instagram story as well as making them myself, it's quite nice to see how the content bloggers make looks like when its being made.www.themakeupaficionado.com

February 27, 2018 / 9:14 pm

Yeah I agree! 🙂

9. Diana Maria
    February 25, 2018 / 3:37 am

I too got out of a few pods and am not pod-free! Haha, it's actually great because you have authentic conversations and comments don't actually just stop if you make the effort. These ideas are all great, I need to do a clear out myself xxSending light & love your way,My Lovelier Days

February 27, 2018 / 9:15 pm

Exactly, they still keep coming and they feel so much better than comments from a pod! Thank you lovely x

10. Tiffany Legg
    February 25, 2018 / 9:23 am

I got out of all the pods too, they're so draining! Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty

February 27, 2018 / 9:15 pm

Definitely xx

11. Lisa Autumn
    February 25, 2018 / 9:32 am

YAY all the changes sound so amazing.. might take some of your tips on board 🙂 xx Lisa | lisaautumn.com

February 27, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Thank you Lisa! xx

12. Beth Griffiths
    February 25, 2018 / 4:24 pm

I found that being in pods made me dread coming on insta and having to catch up with everyones posts. I never actually enjoyed my feed anymore because I just caught up with whoever was in the pod. I definitely need to spend less time scrolling thoughBeth xMermaid in Disguise

February 27, 2018 / 9:19 pm

Same Beth! I had exactly the same feeling and it just wasn't worth it at all x

13. Mel Eaglestone
    February 25, 2018 / 4:53 pm

I think pods can be a bit fake, because you're a member of them it's like you have to comment on every post of theirs even if you're not interestedMel ✨http://meleaglestone.co.uk@meleaglestone

February 27, 2018 / 9:19 pm

Yeah you're right! I love the idea what the people commenting on my photos now are doing it because they are genuinely interested in my content x

14. Ariadna Morell
    February 25, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Yes! I personally love seeing more authentic posts and specially behind the scenes as it makes it feel so much more real! xAriadna || RAWR BOWS

February 27, 2018 / 9:21 pm

Oo good, I feel the same so want to try and inject it in my own content too 🙂

15. Phoebe Tee
    February 26, 2018 / 2:27 am

I loved this post Jodie! I have been thinking about the pod I am in at the moment but there is definitely the fear of the unknown…I've also tried to keep things a little more candid on my grid and not freaking out if it doesn't look perfect all the time because thats just not real.P xxphoebetea.co.uk

February 27, 2018 / 9:22 pm

Thank you Phoebe, definitely the best way to go, I know I love more candid photos x

16. Honey_R.L.
    February 26, 2018 / 12:25 pm

Instagram is tricky. I love my profile and how I work with it, but there are some people constantly reminding me that I should have more followers, that I should post more and that I should have a theme. And I don't want any of these. Instagram started like any other social media platform for me and I think Instagram should be 'insta'. Not edited photos, not planned months ahead… you know?xo Honey – blog Royal Lifestyle – Twitter – Instagram

February 27, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Oh no you do you, I can relate. When it comes to my blog I'm the same and barely plan ahead, I feel like planning and taking it too seriously takes away a lot of the fun!

17. cindyhyue
    February 27, 2018 / 4:58 am

I love all of these items! I'm definitely trying to create more authentic posts and have them differentiate from my blog photos. I'm with you on leaving pods – I left the few I was in and it was definitely very liberating. I started feeling very stressed about keeping up with posts and I never fully loved everyone in the pods' content. Nothing against them, but it felt very inauthentic to comment on posts for the sake of commenting – when I probably wouldn't have in the first place. I'm much more happy to engage with those accounts that I like now, and I am glad that others still comment on mine on occasion 🙂 I think natural engagement is the best and it feels the best as well. Looking forward to your posts as always and hopefully we get you to 10K soon ;)Cindy | http://www.cindyhyue.com

February 27, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Yeah I think it's becoming the new way to post on Instagram, almost like people are stripping it back which I love! Yeah it feels amazing doesn't it!? Completely relate and agree, kind of regret being in them for so long… Aw thank you so much lovely, who knows haha! xx

18. Charlotte Lane
    February 27, 2018 / 4:10 pm

I loove behind the scenes bits on Instagram stories! I need to try and remember to do this myself, but I always think that no one will actually be interested haha. I'm making more of an effort to engage with people on Instagram too, because how can I expect people to engage with my content if I don't engage with their's, right?! I'm looking forward to continue seeing your Instagram grow and keep on engaging with you 🙂 xoChar | http://www.charslittleblog.co.uk

February 27, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Hahahaha, Charlotte I feel exactly the same! Some times I rewatch my story and think hmmm, is anyone actually bothered though! Yesssss, I like your motto with this – it's so true! Thank you lovely xx

19. Claudia Norris
    February 28, 2018 / 2:02 am

I love your IG Jodie, and I love these tips! I recently cleaned out who I followed and am trying to engage more natrually on the platform! Working on doing my IG stories more too! :)Claudia | http://www.claudianorris.ca

20. Afrodite Kl
    February 28, 2018 / 11:36 am

Loved this post!Instagram for sure is always the main topic in talks lately!I eill agree with pods!They don't work for me,make me feel stressed to keep up and take a lot of time!On of the changes i want to make it's just to enjoy it more like i used to and feel motivated and inspired again insread of worrying about numbers and those kind of stuffs!!xx Aphrodite ~ BubblyBeauty

21. Danielle Alexa
    February 28, 2018 / 6:06 pm

I adore this post. I just want to make my Instagram much more of an unfiltered placed where I post what I want to post and I don't have to worry about it fitting into my 'theme'!Danielle xxhttp://www.fashionbeautyblog.co.uk/

22. Janay Andre
    March 5, 2018 / 1:39 pm

I love this post, I've had a major clear out and archived a lot of posts, I went from possibly over 500 I think to now 93! So many pictures I kind of cringed at but its why I had archived so I still have them lol. I wish they would go back to the time order!Janay Andrex