There is something about MAC lipsticks that’s nostalgic to me, nothing quite beats the iconic vanilla scent or using a brand new shade for the first time… I remember buying my first MAC lipstick so vividly. I went for the raved about shade ‘Creme Cup’, £11 later it was mine. 7 years on there have been too many price increases to count and some bad shade choices made on my part (Hue and Up the Amp, I’m looking at you). Over the next few months I’m going to be upgrading my collection, so I thought now would be a good time to share the MAC lipsticks that I currently own…
1) Plink – A sheer, baby pink which leaves an almost frosty look on the lips from the shimmery particles. It’s a lustre finish which feels nourishing and creamy, but does tend to highlight any spec of dry skin on the lips. I’ve had this for a while now, it’s definitely not something I reach for often anymore but hopefully I’ll get more use out of it during the warmer months, or used layered with other lipsticks.
2) Patisserie – A more recent addition to my collection and probably my favourite for everyday wear. Like Plink this is a lustre finish except it’s much more pigmented, leaving a good wash of colour on the lips. This is an incredibly wearable understated pink and it just seems to work well with any look I pair it with. One thing to note is that the lustre lipsticks definitely don’t last as long as the other formulations from MAC, so I do have to top this up throughout the day. Although the high shine finish and wearable shade make it worthy of the extra effort!
3) Creme Cup – Don’t worry this isn’t the the same one that I picked up back in 2011, I decided to repurchase this mainly for nostalgic reasons (yes I’m that sad). Creme Cup is a satin finish making it much more pigmented that the lustre finish. This is creamy, nourishing and light weight and by far my favourite MAC formula – however, it’s the fairly bright, pale pink shade that stops me from wearing this – Can I bring myself to throw this away? Nope.
4) Velvet Teddy – Out of all the shades this has been my most worn, and I’m definitely in need of a new one. It’s one of the most comfortable matte lipsticks I own and the only mid toned brown nude that seems to work for my complexsion. It has a slight pink undertone to it which really manages to lift the shade and make it feel less dull. I don’t think my lipstick collection will ever be without Velvet Teddy!
5) Twig – For me this is the perfect A/W Mauve lipstick shade. It’s much darker than what I go for on a day to day basis, but when teamed with a warm brown smokey eye it creates a really stunning look. It’s a satin finish so formulation wise it ticks all the boxes, lasting a good 5-6 hours before fading to leave a lovely mauve/ pink stain. This one definitely requires a lip liner, I recommend MAC’s Whirl with this.
6) Brave – I feel like this is the more mature, grown up version of Creme Cup. For a while it was my go to, everyday lip shade, but it’s definitely made it’s way to the bottom of my collection over the past year… It’s just a little too pink for my liking!
7) Rebel – Keeping it real, I haven’t worn this shade in months – maybe years! I was actually going to throw it out as I tend to stir clear of lipstick with any kind of colour (bar the Rimmel 107 Kate Moss lipstick). However, when trying it on for this post I pretty much rekindled my love for it. Rebel really is a stunning lipstick. It’s bold and fun yet not too out there, and I couldn’t believe how much it managed to brighten my complexsion and just pull a really simple makeup look together. I think I’m going to start wearing this as a lip stain and gradually build up the colour until I feel confident enough to wear it.
8) Morange – Again, like Rebel I really have avoided this lipstick for a while. Of-course it isn’t something I’ll be wearing on a day to day basis, and it’s definitely a season shade, but for hot summer holidays it’s stunning. Although bright and almost neon like, teamed with minimal makeup and tanned skin this lipstick is perfection!
PLINK, PATTISSERIE, VELVET TEDDY, BRAVE, CREME CUP, TWIG, REBEL, MORANGE
As I mentioned in my intro there are just a few MAC lipsticks I really want to add to my collection! The shades are Blankety, Ruby Woo, Syrup, and of-course I will have to look into the Fleur de Force and MAC collaboration which I believe is coming out in April.
SHOP THE POST
I hope the lip swatches have been useful to anyone with these shades on their wishlist… If you have any shade recommendations then I would love to know in the comments!