How I ended up working in Social Media/ PR

I’ve decided to do a little series of career related posts, quite a few people on Twitter seemed interested (thanks guys). I’m a little bit nerdy when it comes to all things career and employability related, so I’m actually pretty excited to write this and share my (v short) story so far…

Psychology is something I will always enjoy, I love thinking about “why we are the way we are” and I’m still not bored of that, but throughout uni the thought of becoming a psychologist or counsellor was never something I wanted to fully commit to, which was at one point my end goal and the career I was aiming for. At the age of 13 (8 years ago) I discovered YouTube, and I was hooked, instantly. I have loved beauty and YouTube for a large chunk of my life now, and it took me a while to realise how much that meant and could translate into a career.

In the last year of my Psychology degree, I just couldn’t engage with the thought of working outside of the field. At the end of last year I was lost, anxious and annoyed that I didn’t have something that made me excited about my future. I can’t remember exactly what happened but I remember discovering a whole host of PR roles and jobs titled “Social Media Manager,” I wasn’t living under a rock, I knew these roles existed, but I just dismissed them as something that I couldn’t do. Over Christmas 2015/ January 2016 I realised that promoting my blog through my twitter and Instagram was something I really loved doing, and I looked forward to it! My career path was under my nose for years, quite a few things stopped me from realising sooner, but it was mainly because I was just too worried about what people thought of my blog, and scared that I had wasted my time at uni… Silly I know!

I currently work in house for a online beauty retailer, a typical day see’s me organising content for the different social media platforms, PR work which is mainly outreach to bloggers and organising collaborations with digital influencers, taking and editing images for the social media and writing blog posts. I have also worked on some bigger projects alongside this. I did manage to get this job through a really good friend, I was very lucky to have known the right person I guess. I know it’s easy for me to say this, but I honestly think if you want something enough then you will be able to get
there! I wouldn’t have been able to get the job if I couldn’t demonstrate all of the skills needed for it.

One major factor in helping me realise that I wanted to work within PR/ Social Media was being a part of the BloggingGals team, it gave me some good experience to talk about in my interview and also the chance to manage a social media platform. The team were amazing and although it was hard fitting it into my final year at uni, I’m so glad that I did! – I have wrote a post about my thoughts on uni here

The next post will be my tips on getting yourself a job within social media/ pr without a degree/ associated qualification (so if you have any specific questions then please ask!). I’m then going to move onto what it is actually like day to day in more detail. I also work freelance along side my full time job so I will bring that up in a post too I think. I really hope that these posts are helpful (whilst also allowing me to talk careers which I love).

Instagram // Twitter // Bloglovinโ€™Snapchat: jodiemelissaxo

33 responses to “How I ended up working in Social Media/ PR”

1. Catherine Sayer says:

Loved this post! This is exactly the kind of job I'd like to go into too, so I'd love to know more ๐Ÿ™‚ xhttp://cocoamay.blogspot.co.uk

2. McKenzie Miller says:

I'm glad you followed your heart and passion! So important to do jobs that we love to do! xoMcKenzie Millertherosynook.com

3. Alice Beesley says:

Loved this! I am VERY excited for your post regarding not having a degree and getting into social media/PR, since I withdrew from uni last year and have felt lost ever since!Alice | http://invocati.co.uk

4. Jessie-Ann Lewis says:

I loved this post! I've just finished university where I did a MA in Journalism and am starting to hunt for jobs now. I am so worried about the whole process so seeing that you've got somewhere amazing from working on your blog has really helped me. Thank you for a fab post : ) xxJessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

5. Lucieleannexo says:

I loved reading this post, look forward to the next in the series!Lucie xo | lucieleannexo.wordpress.com

6. Hannah Lucy says:

Loved this Jodie! I was exactly in the same boat, studying a degree in social science and then boom it hit me with what I wanted to do. I now work in social media too! Hannah | Oh January

7. Heather Nixon says:

I have a psychology degree but I'd love to work in social media – I've applied for a couple of internships that were unpaid but haven't got them xHeather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

• Jodie Moores says:

I think that the two do cross over! So sorry to hear you didn't get them, keep trying, once you get your foot through the door with one internship things will get easier! xx

8. Georgia Megan says:

Great post! You have the job I really want after I finish uni so I'll definitely be referring back to this post in the future! I hope everything keeps going well for you! x|Georgia Megan|

9. Jessica says:

I can relate to this post so much, which I love because it makes me feel a lot better about myself. I too did a degree in Psychology and even now I still don't know what I want to do! I do enjoy Psychology but I don't see myself being a Psychologist. I love the blogging community and I have been reading blogs and watching youtube videos for years. I think Psychology is one of those Degree's you can apply in different areas. I may start looking into Social Media/PR jobs because like you said it relates well with blogging ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the post x Jessie Glam | http://www.jessieglam.blogspot.co.uk

• Jodie Moores says:

Thank you for commenting! It's so hard to decide at such a young age what to do, I feel like a career can be so defining throughout life so getting it right is so important. If you love social media then follow your heart, it is well worth it, and like you said with Psychology it can cross over to other job roles! xx

10. Pinja says:

I'm actually so excited for this post series! I also love reading all kinds of career tips and 'tricks of the trade' kind of posts so I can't wait to read the next one already! I think it will also be really exciting (and not to mention motivating/inspiring!) to read about how to get your dream job without the degree related to that exact job. Thanks for sharing all of your tips with us! xx

11. Arianne says:

Your job sounds like so much fun! Definitely looking forward to more tips.. Also, new subbie here. I saw your tweet and thought, "hey, lovely photos. I'll check her out." :)http://ariannecruz07.blogspot.com

12. Abigail Alice x says:

I worked as a social media manager at UCLA and absolutely loved it. It's definitely something I think I would do after Uni.Abigail Alice x

Such a fabulous post Jodie – I'd quite like to get into social media/pr so this was really interesting to read!Lucy | Forever September

14. Fiona Call says:

This is a super relevant post for me! I've just finished my second placement in a PR agency and I'm really gearing towards the idea of working in communications, although I study French and Spanish. I'm hoping my blogging experience and the languages should help to work abroad with it! Great post :)the traffic jam of life

• Jodie Moores says:

Wow that sounds amazing, I'm sure it will! You are doing a amazing thing by doing placements, they are a fab way to network and gain experience! I wish that I had done more xx

15. thatsellen says:

Love posts like these! In high school i studied Social Sciences and International Relations and I really wanted (I thought) to continue on that path on Uni. Now I'm sitting here in London, a year later, surrounded by fashion magazines and books about PR and Visual Merchandising. Somehow I ended up studying Fashion Business, which I feel is what I deep down really wanted. It's and hard industry, so blogposts like these makes me really positive! :)Ellen xhttp://thatsellen.blogspot.com

• Jodie Moores says:

It is so difficult, so good that you managed to find your passion before going to uni though! Thank you for sharing your story, I find them so inspiring and motivational ๐Ÿ™‚ x

16. The Makeup Aficionado says:

What a lovely post! I can definitely relate to this. Although I am doing an arts and science double degree, I know that I want to work in the beauty industry and make this blogging thing apart of my career as well. http://www.themakeupaficionado.com

17. It's Cultured says:

I'd love to know more about your journey into PR/Social Media. I studied English Literature and am looking to go into PR. Your route and process into the industry would really help me as we both sound like we have made similar choices.Lovely post! Sophie |It's Cultured xx