NYX Cosmetics: First Impressions

There has been so much hype around NYX beauty products, for months I have been desperate to try pretty much every shade of the soft matte lip creams, that’s a lie, I have been desperate to try everything if I’m honest. Popping into Boots on a Saturday afternoon to have a look definitely wasn’t the best of ideas, but I did manage to come away with three new bits. I really wanted to try some of their base products as I feel like their lip products gain most of the attention, I took note of some shades I liked the look of though.

All you oily skin girls know my pain when you look in the mirror mid day to find your makeup has disappeared, and your T-zone has gone crazy. The only silicone based primer I like is the Benefit porefessional, it manages to keep my skin shine free for hours and doesn’t interfere with my base over the top, I have been wanting to find a cheaper match for ages so I picked up the Pore Filler. Unfortunately this just isn’t for me, I did find that it smoothed over my skin well, blurring the pores on my cheeks, but after wearing this for 3 hours my base had separated on my skin and my foundation just looked awful! I’m pretty disappointed with this, I’m going to pass it to my mum and see what she thinks as she loves the porefessional too, so hopefully she is able to make use of it.

I’ve been after the Urban Decay Naked concealer which I’ll probably still be picking up at some points, but the resemblance from the NYX 24 Hour Concealer drew me in, so I thought off the cuff I would give it a try. Honestly, again not so impressed, this really clings to any dry areas around my eyes and I don’t find it particularly easy to blend either, it probably doesn’t help that the shade I picked up is slightly too light aswel (I blame the busy counter). One good thing is how many shades they had to choose from, something to suit every skin tone.

So, I was off to a really bad start, but thankfully the soft matte lip cream restored my faith in the brand. I am so obsessed with this and I’ve added more to my wishlist, I want to have an instagram worthy collection soon. I picked up Cannes which is a gorgeous warm pink/ nude, a really interesting shade which I find really flattering and wearable for everyday. I’ve actually been reaching for this everyday when I’m stuck with what to go for, which I haven’t experienced with a lipstick for a while. I haven’t actually been put off the brand, I still want to try more of there products, but I think it will be an online order instead.

What are your favourite products from NYX?

1. mika
    May 16, 2016 / 7:38 pm

I actually don't own too much from NYX! Only a few Butter Glosses and lip liners. I tried some of the Soft Matte Lip Cremes and was a bit disappointed. I don't blame the product but rather my super dry lips. I can really only use specific lip products and especially drying liquid lipstick-ish ones, but my expectations were high for them to work for me but sadly didn't. The color you chose looks so pretty though! That concealer I was afraid would be too drying, it's why I never wanted to try it but have been temped to! And yes, as a fellow oily skinned gal, I feel your pain at trying to keep the oil at bay during the day. Such a shame that it didn't work! I feel like NYX is a hit or miss with their products, but I really do like their lip liners. If you haven't tried any, you really should! :)xoxowww.hellohimawari.com

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:15 pm

Yeah I have quite dry lips aswel, I have to wear a really good lip balm the night before to make this work! What liquid lipsticks are your favourite? I find the Sephora ones to be really uncomfortable if you've tried them. I love lipliners so I need to have a look into them, I am really gutted about the base products! xx

2. Melissa Rios
    May 16, 2016 / 8:05 pm

I recently just purchased two of their liquid lingerie lipsticks in bedtime flirt and beauty. They are pretty good for the price and I'm quiet happy. Bedtime flirt is really subtle pink and its a good for an everyday look!http://www.lovemelly.org/

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:15 pm

Oo they sound lovely, everyone keeps going on about those so I might look into them! thank you xx

3. The Sunday Mode
    May 17, 2016 / 12:50 am

The only thing I own from NYX is their jumbo eye pencils and they're pretty good, depending on the shade you get. I feel like I spent so long trying to hunt down the soft matte lip creams, I've given up now :(www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Aw no way, I feel like that with a lot of products, we always want what we can't have! xx

4. Alina Bostan
    May 17, 2016 / 7:18 am

I've tried a few products from NYX but definitely still want to try more of their lip & eye products. So glad I read about your experience with the concealer cuz I was actually thinking of buying it xBeauty with charm | Benefit Cheekathon Giveaway

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:19 pm

Yes, I'm the same I think I'm going to stick to trying their lip and eye products from now on. Yeah especially if you have dry skin, its just a no go! xx

5. Emmys Beauty Cave
    May 17, 2016 / 8:04 am

I find with the NYX Concealer if I apply an eye cream before my makeup it applies like a dream!! I also use it with the Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector and it works like magic. I have heard so many people say the Primer wasn't great so I will stay away from it! I love the Lip Creams too, You should try the NYX Suede ones next they are insanely good!Emmy | Emmys Beauty Cave | Bloglovin

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:17 pm

Oo okay thanks lovely I think I'll try that! Ahh all I saw was good reviews annoyingly 🙁 got recommended it on twitter twice and then again by the women that worked there, I'm going with my gut feeling next time! The suede ones look so nice, adding them to my wish list 🙂 xx

6. Charlotte Lane
    May 17, 2016 / 8:54 am

I really want to try the soft matte lip cream's and I also would love to collect them all haha! I seriously need to get myself online and order some of these! Great post xoChar | http://www.charslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:21 pm

Yes you do, I haven't read one bad review yet! There are so many really fab posts online showing all of the different colours in swatches, so its pretty easy to find something you'll love xx

7. Lauren Victoria
    May 17, 2016 / 9:45 am

I've tried a few products from NYX, including the HD concealer and the soft matte lip creams, both of which I absolutely love and would definitely repurchase more in the future xxLauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:22 pm

Ahh interesting about the concealer, there seems to be mixed feelings! I love the matte lip creams, I want so many more of there lip products x

8. TimeWithYana
    May 17, 2016 / 1:48 pm

I haven't tried that many NYX products either! By the way, have you set the HD concealer with powder? It works a lot better then 🙂 x

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:23 pm

I always set my makeup with powder, especially my under eyes 🙁 I feel like I want to try it again because everyone seems to love it! x

9. Katya Van Bick
    May 17, 2016 / 3:13 pm

I've still not managed to try any NYX products but just like you, I'm desperate to try the lip creams. I'm such a sucker for a matte lip and the colour of Cannes is gorgeous!Katya | The Beauty Harbour

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:23 pm

I still really want to try more from the brand, they have so many other lip ranges too, its lucky they are affordable haha! x

10. Bianca Derhy
    May 17, 2016 / 8:41 pm

These products look really nice, I've never tried them but love that lip color! xwww.bibigoeschic.com

• Jodie Moores
      May 18, 2016 / 6:24 pm

Lovely isn't it! xx

11. The Makeup Aficionado
    May 19, 2016 / 3:04 am

Pore filling primers are not meant to be applied all over the face, i typically apply them to the specific areas that pores are enlarged. http://www.themakeupaficionado.com

12. Yiotou_La
    May 19, 2016 / 8:01 pm

I want to purchase Stockholm which is the perfect nude shade and Cannes sounds interesting too. I've heard different things about the NYX lip creams and I want to try them myself.YiotaPinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

13. Jasmine Stewart
    May 19, 2016 / 8:07 pm

I love the NYX lip creams but haven't tried either of the other two – it's a shame they were disappointing. I would definitely say their single eyeshadows, lip products and brow products are their strong pointJasmine xx Jasmine Talks Beauty

14. Tamzin Swann
    May 19, 2016 / 10:13 pm

I haven't tried much else other than their lip stuff just yet, but will def be a little more picky choosing them now! So much else to try though xTamz | http://www.throughneweyesx.com

15. alittlekiran
    May 21, 2016 / 8:51 pm

Ah that is disappointing, I had heard that their HD concealer is all kinds of wonderful. Such a shame, but their soft matte lip creams are lovely. XxALittleKiran | Bloglovin | Instagram

16. Heather Nixon
    May 23, 2016 / 6:50 pm

I definitely want to try the soft matte lip creams xHeather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

17. Emma Langlands
    May 23, 2016 / 7:04 pm

I recently bought the NYX Concealer and feel in love!!!

18. Caitlin Sowers
    May 25, 2016 / 2:59 pm

I have been dying to try the shade London in the matte lip creams, it looks like the perfect nude! xxCaitlinwww.minmimalist-makeup.com

19. GlassesShop
    September 5, 2016 / 6:59 am

These products look really nice